Omaha Professionals United in Service
Organizational Guidelines and Bylaws
Our Vision: Omaha Professionals United in Service meets on a weekly basis to provide benefit to each other’s businesses and the community.
1. Drive revenue and referrals to the other members
2. Participate in OPUS philanthropy
3. Education of each other’s businesses
4. Bring new guests and perspective members
5. Regular attendance at Tuesday afternoon meetings
Weekly Meeting Agenda:
• 4:00-4:10 Networking
• 4:10-4:30 Roundtable
o One Minute Updates
o Referrals Exchange
o Status Updates
• Leads/One-on-ones/Closed Business
• 4:30-4:40 Association Business Issues
• 4:40-5:00 Speaker
Explanations of Agenda:
Roundtable- Each member will speak for up to one minute about whatever they choose. It is suggested that each member speak about something pertinent to their business and what the other members can do to help. The one minute time will be strictly enforced.
Association Business Issues – This will include the treasurer’s report, attendance reporting, and any other issues or ideas that any of the members would like to discuss.
Speaker- One member will have approximately 20 minutes to use as they choose. They may give a presentation about their business, use the time to obtain feedback to issues they may face, or anything else that they believe is useful.
Referral Exchange- Each member will provide an update as to whether they have referrals for other members in the group.
Status Update – This will include educational topics, updates on OPUS philanthropic efforts, and any other topics that are useful to the group.
Attendance Policy- Members must attend meetings on a regular basis, with only three allowable misses per quarter in a calendar year. If member is going to miss a meeting, then it is strongly recommended that they obtain a guest in their place. Failure to comply with the attendance policy will cause one’s membership to be reviewed by the executive committee and the possibility of their membership being revoked. In accordance with our attendance tracking, members will pay $5 for each absence and $1 for no leads/one-on-ones/referrals during the corresponding week.
Referral Policy- If a member receives a referral and does not follow up in a timely or professional manner, the referring member will raise their concern to that member first. Then, if not resolved satisfactorily, the referring member is to bring the issue to the executive committee of the group for review. If this is a recurring theme for a member, they will be asked to leave the group.
Business Categories- There will be one member per business category, unless otherwise approved by the existing member in that business category and the executive committee.
Officers and Committees
These positions will last for one calendar year and voting will occur on the 1st Tuesday of June to correspond with our membership dues. Nominations for officers and committee members must be submitted to the President on the day of voting. Only members in good standing with the attendance policy may vote for new officers and committee members. Members must be present to vote.
President – Responsible for facilitating the weekly meetings and the general management of OPUS.
Vice President – Responsible for managing the speaker schedule and fulfilling the President’s duties in the President’s absence.
Treasurer – responsible for attendance, referral tracking, and coordination of dues and group funds.
Membership/Social Chair- responsible for meeting with new members, tracking and follow up with potential members, and identifying opportunities to gain qualified new members. Responsible for maintaining the speaker schedule.
Social Media Chair – responsible for development and management of OPUS website and any other relevant communication materials.
Non-profit Committee Chair/Committee – responsible for development and management of OPUS yearly philanthropic activities (i.e. Charitable Giving Process).
Prospective members are allowed 2 visits with their sponsor to the OPUS Tuesday afternoon meetings in order to evaluate whether they would be a benefit to the group and we to them.
If, after 1 or 2 visits, a prospective member would like to join the group, the following must be completed:
1. E-mail or fax the application to Membership/Social Chair
2. The executive committee (and other member in same professional category, if applicable) will review the application and determine if membership to the group would be beneficial for the prospective member as well as for the existing members.
3. After the 2nd visit as a guest of the sponsoring member, the prospective member will not be able to further attend until their membership application has been reviewed and approved.
4. Once decision concerning membership has been rendered, the Membership/Social Chair will contact the prospective member to inform them of their status.
5. Upon approval, the new member will submit their contact and business information for placement on the OPUS website.
6. New Member fees are due at the first meeting they attend as an official member. OPUS members shall be required to pay dues on an annual basis. Each member shall pay annual dues in the amount of $250, which dues shall be paid on or before the 1st Tuesday of June of each calendar year, payable as follows: $200 toOmaha Community Foundation- OPUS Fund, and $50 to Omaha Professionals United in Service. Each new member’s membership dues shall be prorated, at a rate of $20 per month for each full calendar month of membership, beginning with the first full calendar month following acceptance of the new member as a member of OPUS. The new member’s prorated membership dues shall be paid in full at the first meeting that the new member attends as an official member of OPUS. A new member’s membership dues shall be paid 80% to the Omaha Community Foundation- OPUS Fund and 20% to Omaha Professionals United in Service. (For example, if a new member’s membership application is accepted and approved in January, the new member would pay $20 per month for the months of February, March, April and May, ($80 total due at the first meeting the new member attends), and then the new member would pay the $250 annual membership in June.)
Omaha Professionals United in Service